All dogs must be licensed per state law. Dog licenses expire annually on December 31. Licensing begins in October. Click here for information about licensing, including a link to the online application.
Where Can I Take My Dog?
Visit this page for dog laws and information about dog-friendly South Portland parks, including on and off-leash hours.
Scoop the Poop!
Dog owners must always pick up and dispose of dog waste on streets and in parks and beaches, per City Ordinance.
1 gram of dog poop has over 23 million fecal coliform bacteria (almost twice as much as a human's) that can wash into our waterways and contribute to water contamination and cause illness. Here are tips from the College of the Environment at the University of Washington:
- Always carry poop bags with you whenever you are out and about with your dog. Take more than you think you will need…you never know.
- Pick it up! Every. Single. Time.
- Tie the bag closed and toss it in the garbage, not compost bins or yard waste bags.
- Pick up poops in your yard weekly (more often is better and definitely before a big rain).
- Tips to Help Keep Pollution Out of Storm Water & Improve Water Quality (Facebook)
- The Unfortunate Effects of Uncollected Pet Waste (Vimeo)