Agenda for the City Council Meeting
August 5, 2013
Meeting Begins: 7:00 P.M.
Location: Council Chambers
Documents are Adobe PDF files. Agenda
A. Acceptance of Minutes
B. Communications from City Manager
C. Petitions and Communications
D. Appointment Calendar
1. ORDER #70-12/13 – Conservation Commission, District Two (Smith), for a term which expires on 11/20/14. Postponed since 12/17/12. Passage requires majority vote.
2. ORDER #88-12/13 – Community Development Advisory Committee, District Three (Linscott), for a term which expires on 01/15/16. Postponed since 01/23/13. Passage requires majority vote.
3. ORDER #124-12/13 – Board of Assessment Review, District Two (Smith), for a term which expires on 03/16/16. Postponed since 04/01/13. Passage requires majority vote.
4. ORDER #14-13/14 – Board of Appeals, At Large (Livingston), for a term which expires on 07/23/16. Postponed on 07/15/13. Passage requires majority vote.
5. ORDER #15-13/14 – Library Advisory Board, At Large (Blake), for an unexpired term which expires on 12/31/14. Postponed on 07/15/13. Passage requires majority vote.
6. ORDER #24-13/14 – Energy & Recycling Associate, District Two (Smith), to appoint Michael Howe, for a term which expires on 05/05/15. Passage requires majority vote.
E. Consent Calendar
7. STREET CLOSURE – The South Portland Buy Local Group is requesting the closure of Madison Street at Breakwater Drive for the South Portland Buy Local Bug Light Festival on August 17th. Passage requires majority vote.
8. STREET CLOSURE – The City of South Portland is requesting the closure of Hinckley Drive from Ocean Street to Cottage Road to accommodate Art in the Park from 12:01 am to 9:00 a.m. on August 10, 2013. (Rain date: 12:01 am to 9:00 a.m. on August 11, 2013). Passage requires majority vote.
F. Citizen Discussion (First Part)
G. Public Hearings and Actions
9. CITIZEN INITIATED ORDINANCE #1-13/14 – Second reading and public hearing on the citizen initiated proposed waterfront protection ordinance. Passed first reading on 7/01/13. ROLL CALL VOTE. Passage requires at least five affirmative votes.
H. Action on Old and New Business
10. ORDER #25-13/14 – Accepting miscellaneous donations. Passage requires majority vote.
11. ORDER #26-13/14 – Appropriating $171,000 from the Fairchild TIF Account to the FY 2013 CIP CSO West High #019 Mussey Street Account and award of Bid #42-13 to R. J. Grondin & Sons Inc., of Gorham, ME, for the Mussey Street/Sprague Street Sewer Separation Project. Passage requires majority vote.
12. ORDER #27-13/14 – Amending the Lease Agreement with Mad Horse Theater for the lease of 24 Mosher Street. Passage requires majority vote.
13. ORDER #28-13/14 – Award of a sole source bid to Physio-Control Inc., of Redmond, WA, for the purchase of a Lifepak monitor for the Fire Department. Passage requires majority vote.
14. ORDER #29-13/14 – Award of Bid #02-14 to LaCorte Equipment Company, of Calverton, NY, for the purchase of a turf utility vehicle for the Parks Department. Passage requires majority vote.
15. ORDER #30-13/14 – Setting the date of the public hearing on a proposed amendment to the City Charter, Article IX, Section 906 regarding School Board member compensation. Passage requires majority vote.
I. Citizen Discussion (Second Part)
J. Councilor’s Round Robin
K. Executive Session
A motion may be made to go into executive session pursuant to 36 M.R.S.A. §841, to discuss applications(s) for abatement of property taxes on account of infirmity or poverty and pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A. §405 (D) discussion of contract negotiations with the South Portland Firefighters IAFF Local #1476 and Fire Command Officers.
Note: Items may be added to or deleted from the tentative agenda. Copies of amended agenda may be obtained from the City Clerk. Amendments, if any, appear on attachments to the tentative agenda.
In the event the Council determines that it may not reach all agenda items by 11:00 P.M., it may postpone some items to a subsequent meeting. Postponement is not required, and the Council may take up agenda items after 11:00 P.M. Any items postponed to the next meeting will normally be scheduled ahead of subsequently scheduled agenda items.