Agenda for the City Council Meeting
August 18, 2014
Meeting Begins: 7:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall Council Chambers
Documents are Adobe PDF files. Agenda
A. Acceptance of Minutes
B. Communications from City Manager
C. Petitions and Communications
Department and Committee Reports
D. Appointment Calendar
1. ORDER #124-12/13 – Board of Assessment Review, District Two (Smith), for a term which expires on 03/16/16. Postponed since 04/01/13. Passage requires majority vote.
2. ORDER #154-13/14 – Civil Service Commission, District Two (Smith), to fill an unexpired term which expires on 03/01/15. Postponed since 06/02/14. Passage requires majority vote.
3. ORDER #12-14/15 – Appointing a member to the Long Creek Watershed Management District Board of Directors. Passage requires majority vote.
E. Consent Calendar
3A. STREET CLOSURE - South Portland Music Boosters are requesting to close Mountain View Road and Nutter Road on September 27, 2014 from 3:00 P.M. – 10:30 P.M. for a marching band competition.
F. Citizen Discussion (First Part)
G. Public Hearings and Action
4. CITIZEN INITIATED ORDINANCE #5-14/15 – Initial reading of the citizen initiated proposed use of marijuana by persons 21 years of age or older ordinance and setting the date of the public hearing on the same pursuant to Section 1107 of the City Charter. Passed first reading 08/04/14. ROLL CALL VOTE. Passage requires majority vote.
5. ORDINANCE #6-14/15 - Bond ordinance to appropriate $3,500,000 (*) for the Thornton Heights Separation Phases II, III and IV project and to authorize $3,500,000 (*) principal amount of bonds to finance such appropriations. Passed first reading on 08/04/14. ROLL CALL VOTE. Passage requires affirmative vote of at least 4 members of the City Council.
H. Action on Old and New Business
6. ORDER #13-14/15 – Accepting miscellaneous donations. Passage requires majority vote.
7. ORDER #14-14/15 – Accepting a Target National Night Out Grant for $500.00 to be used by the Police Department. Passage requires majority vote.
8. ORDER #15-14/15 - Accepting $607.00, or any portion thereof, under the State of Maine Asset Forfeiture Program to be used by the Police Department. Passage requires majority vote.
9. ORDER #16-14/15 –Amending the Non-union Personnel Policy. Passage requires majority vote.
10. ORDINANCE #7-14/15 – Amending Chapter 9, “Garbage and Refuse” Regarding Solid Waste. First reading. Passage requires majority vote.
11. ORDER #17-14/15 - Authorizing the method of sale of tax-acquired property located at 56 Washington Avenue (Map 35, Lot 147) as offering for sale by public auction pursuant to Sec. 2-171(2)(a) of the Code of Ordinances and authorizing the City Manager to take any and all such further action necessary to proceed with sale of the property. Passage requires majority vote.
12. ORDER #18-14/15– Establishing a Reserve Account for the Collection of Legal Support for the Clear Sky Ordinance. Passage requires majority vote.
I. Citizen Discussion (Second Part)
J. Councilor’s Round Robin
K. Executive Session
A motion may be made to go into Executive Session pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A. §405 (6)(d) regarding labor negotiations with the Police Patrol Association, the Police Command and Supervisory Unit and IAFF Local #1476, South Portland Firefighters; and pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A. § 405(6)(C) to discuss the potential sale of a parcel of City-owned property.
Note: Items may be added to or deleted from the tentative agenda. Copies of amended agenda may be obtained from the City Clerk. Amendments, if any, appear on attachments to the tentative agenda.
In the event the Council determines that it may not reach all agenda items by 11:00 P.M., it may postpone some items to a subsequent meeting. Postponement is not required, and the Council may take up agenda items after 11:00 P.M. Any items postponed to the next meeting will normally be scheduled ahead of subsequently scheduled agenda items.