POLICY ON HIRING DETAIL POLICE OFFICERS
- Officers are hired in 4 or 8 hour blocks. A minimum of 4 hours is required for each officer hired. In order to meet contract requirements, our start times begin at 7 AM, 11 AM, 3 PM, 7 PM, 11 PM and 3 AM. Hours other than 4 hour blocks may be approved by the shift commander subject to the 4 hour minimum. We will do our best to accommodate odd hours requests voluntarily, but may be subject to a 4 hour minimum if we have to force an officer. An example, you want an officer from 0900-1500 and no one signs up for the 0900-1100 opening. An officer would be forced from 0700-1100 to cover the 0900-1100 time slot. If you have any questions, please give me a call so I can better explain it.
- Pre-payment is required unless waived by the Police Department Administration. Rates for 2018 are as follows: $71.00 per hour. $30 per hour additional cost for a cruiser. Please call the shift commander to schedule outside details. Do not leave a message for the request, ask the dispatcher to connect you with the Shift Commander. 207-874-8575
- During the busy summer months we receive a lot of requests for details. The more time you give us, the easier it is to get your job scheduled.
- Job cancellations by vendors, with a minimum of one (1.5) hour notice, will be considered reasonable and no payment will be required. Job cancellations by vendors, with less than one (1.5) hour notice, will require payment for the first assigned officer(s)’ scheduled shift (four (4) hours minimum / eight (8) hours maximum). Payment will be the responsibility of the vender hiring the officer. As noted above, jobs are scheduled in 4-hour blocks, partial cancellations are subject to this provision. Venders are required to give 1.5 hour notice for any oncoming officers.
- Police officers will be required for any traffic control activities within an intersection controlled by a traffic light device. The shift commander will have the discretion to determine whether a detail officer will be required for a job affecting traffic irrespective of other requirements of this policy. Additionally, unless two way traffic can be allowed in both directions at the same time, police officers will be required on the following streets:
a. Broadway b. Maine Mall Rd. i. Evans St.
c. Main St. d. Westbrook St. j. Highland Ave.
e. Gorham Rd. f. Anthoine St. k. Lincoln St.
g. Western Ave h. Cottage Rd
Any questions please call or email:
South Portland Police Department
207-799-5511 Ext #7241