Marijuana Establishments
Zoning & Licensing

State Regulations, Rules and Licensing (Office of Marijuana Policy)
Business owners looking to operate a marijuana establishment in the State of Maine should be familiar with the State laws and regulations outlined on the Office of Marijuana Policy website.  There are different requirements for Medical and Adult Use (Recreational) establishments.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to know and comply with all State laws.  We highly recommend that you connect with the Office of Marijuana Policy to discuss your business proposal prior to applying at the municipality. 

The City of South Portland licenses both medical and adult use marijuana establishments.  Local approval of marijuana establishments is a two-part process: Local Land Use Approval and Local Business Licensing.   

Local Land Use Approval (Planning Division, 496 Ocean Street)

All marijuana establishments (Medical & Adult Use) are required to apply for land use approval. Other approvals may be required in order for you to operate your establishment. Please contact a Community Planner listed below to discuss what approvals may be necessary and for a copy of the Planning Board application.

Local Business License (City Clerk, 25 Cottage Road)

All marijuana establishments require land use approval from the Planning Board prior to submitting a local license application.  For Adult Use establishments, a valid Conditional License issued by the State Office of Marijuana Policy is required.

A Class I license is required for all marijuana products manufacturing facilities. For all Class I applications, the City Clerk is authorized to issue new and renewal licenses following public notice of the application and positive recommendations from the Police Department, Fire Department, Health Inspector, and Code Enforcement Officer.

A Class II license is required for marijuana cultivation facilities, marijuana dispensaries and marijuana retail stores. For all Class II applications, the process for Class I license applies, with the additional requirement that initial City Council approval is required at a public hearing. The City Clerk is authorized to process all renewal applications.

Marijuana testing facilities are not required to be licensed, per City Ordinance Sec. 14- 775(b).

For information related to local licensing, please contact Emily Scully, City Clerk (, 207-767-3201)

Local license applications may be found below.