Marijuana Establishments
Zoning & Licensing

Step 1:  State Regulations, Rules and Licensing (Office of Marijuana Policy)
Business owners looking to operate a marijuana establishment in the State of Maine should start with the Office of Marijuana Policy

Step 2:  Local Land Use Approval (South Portland Planning Department and Planning Board)
On December 18, 2018, the South Portland City Council adopted updates to regulations for marijuana establishments (Medical & Adult Use). The adopted ordinances, performance standards, and land use application can be found below. All marijuana establishments (Medical & Adult Use) are required to apply for land use approval using this application. Other approvals may be required in order for you to operate your establishment. Please contact either Community Planner listed below to discuss what approvals may be necessary.

Steve Puleo,, 207-767-7648

Justin Barker,, 207-767-7633

File Name Date Added File Size
ORDINANCE #2-1819.pdf 1/15/2019 184.87 KB
ORDINANCE #3-1819.pdf 1/15/2019 216.64 KB
CH27_ArticleXIX.pdf 1/15/2019 217.79 KB
Modified Site Plan for Marijuana Establishments.pdf 2/19/2019 1,215.88 KB
Sensitive Use Analysis.pdf 4/29/2019 1,554.87 KB

Step 3:  Local Business License (South Portland City Clerk and City Council)

All marijuana establishments (Medical and Adult Use) require all applicable state and local licenses. For information related to local licensing, please contact Emily Scully, City Clerk (, 207-767-3201) or click here for the license application for Medical Marijuana Establishments.  (Note: No Adult Use Marijuana Establishments may operate until the State of Maine releases Rules and Regulations regarding State licensing of these establishments.  Once these have been adopted, the license application will be available.  For more information on State licensing and Rules and Regulations, visit Maine's Office of Marijuana Policy site.)