Looking to become a volunteer coach?
Our youth sports programs would not exist without the help of our dedicated group of volunteers. If you have an interest in coaching a youth team, we are always looking for volunteers. All levels of experience are welcome. Don't let a lack of coaching knowledge stop you from very rewarding experience. All coaches are required to complete a volunteer application and are subject to a criminal background check.
For more information on our Youth Programs or if interested in volunteering:
Jenee Pelletier, Recreation Coordinator of Youth Programs
City of South Portland Youth Sports Philosophy
South Portland Parks & Recreation is committed to providing a high quality youth sports experience for our participants, parents, coaches, and spectators. All of our youth sports leagues are driven by the same core philosophy, to introduce and develop the skills needed for lifelong enjoyment of sports in a setting that is inclusive, engaging, and centered on promoting sportsmanship and having FUN! We feel strongly that all players should have the chance to participate, and that player development, not winning, should be the ultimate goal.
Our Youth Sports Handbook further outlines the youth sports philosophy of our department. It has been developed to help participants and their families understand this department’s expectations, and how to achieve a positive youth sports experience for all involved.
What we offer:
We offer a variety of youth sports programs and leagues which include but are not limited to...
- Youth Basketball Programs - Grades K-1 - Winter Season
- Youth Basketball (Grades 2/3 & 4/5) In House Rec Leagues - Late Fall/Winter
- Youth Basketball (Grade 6) in conjunction with the Boys & Girls Club League - Late Fall/Winter
- Youth Travel Basketball (Grades 5-8) in conjunction with the Cape Elizabeth Community Services Travel League (this is a competitive program) - Fall/Winter
- HS Rec Basketball League (Grades 9-12) in conjunction with the Boys & Girls Club League - Winter
- Youth Lacrosse Programs (Grades K-6) - Spring
- Youth Sports Camps (all ages) - Summer
We also offer an array of youth enrichment programming. Be sure to browse through our seasonal brochure that is published 3 times a year (Fall, Winter/Spring & Summer) to see what new programs are being offered.
For more information or to register for our programs, visit www.sopoparksrec.com