General Assistance Notice

General Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions
General Assistance presentation.doc 

 helping hands report.jpg

Forms & Information


211 Maine
Alternative Aid.pdf

Burial/Cremation Information
Children's Clothes Resources
Diaper Resources.docx 
Employment verification.doc
Family Liability
Food Cupboard
Food Resources
Hardship Tax Abatement Application
Job Search Log
Landlord Information
Landlord Listing
Lease Rental Agreement

Life Essentials.docx
Medical Letter

Medical Form
Pet Food Pantries.docx


About Q Link Wireless
   Lifeline program details
About Safelink

helping hands report.jpg

Links to Outside Resources

Food Supplement Program

Maine Career Center

Maine Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS)

Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (ILAP)

Pine Tree Legal Assistance

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)


The Senior Corner

The season between summer and winter; "Fall: in the Northern Hemisphere, from the September equinox to the December solstice; in the Southern Hemisphere, from the March equinox to the June solstice.

A few prevention tips for the Fall months:

1. Have your medications reviewed

2. Have your eyes checked

3. Make your home safe

4. Stay active & exercise

5. Buy in season veggies such as beets, broccoli & brussels sprouts

6. Enjoy in season fruits: apples, pears, tangy & healthy cranberries & sweet persimmons







All interviews are by appointment only. Please call 767-7617 to schedule an appointment. If you receive our answering machine, please provide your name, address & phone number.

Hours of Operation:

Monday - Friday 8 AM - Noon  & 1:00 - 4:30 PM.

If you are experiencing an emergency

call the South Portland Police Department at 799-5511.

Kathleen Babeu, Social Services Director

Kathleen Babeu is the Director of Social Services and Program Manager for General Assistance in the City of South Portland. The focus of this department is on social service resource information within the city and Cumberland County. Kathleen began her municipal career in 1998 after moving from the Chicago area. She has worked for the towns of Cumberland and Falmouth. She attended Siena College receiving a BBA in Accounting & professional municipal certifications. She was appointed Dedimus Justice in 2002 and elected to the Cumberland County Charter Commission, District 1 in 2008.

Please contact Kathleen with any questions you have relative to community resources.




 The City of South Portland Social Service department offers a General Assistance (GA) program to assists eligible residents with basic necessities who are unable to provide for their household.  Eligibility is determined according to state overall maximums and allowances. GA is administered in accordance with the City of South Portland Ordinance and Maine State Statute, Chapter 22. The program provides confidential financial assistance to South Portland residents who are having difficulty meeting basic needs for shelter, food, non-food fuel, utility payments and medical expenses. The program is designed to be the program of “last resort.”The department works with clients to self-sustain, utilizing a myriad of social services within Cumberland County. The program is funded by local property taxes with 70% reimbursement from the state. All assistance is granted in voucher form to local merchants. The City works with applicants to ensure that appropriate community referrals are made to support services. A listing of community resources is available on the sidebar to the right.

The City is required to have someone available 24 hours a day to take applications in an emergency. If this is an EMERGENCY and the office is closed, please contact South Portland Police at 799-5511.

The Importance of Utilizing Resources:

It is important that an applicant use their income for basic necessities. If an applicant chooses to spend their income on non-basic items, they may not be eligible for GA. Applicants must apply and use all other resources available:

  • TANF & other DHHS programs
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Subsidized Housing programs
  • Government assisted programs & community resources
  • Federal food supplements
  • Support from legally liable relatives
  • MaineCare/Medicaid/Medicare
  • Income Tax Refunds

What to Bring with you when you apply:

  • Identification
  • Social Security Cards for Household.
  • Birth certificates for household
  • Passport/Visa & Immigration Papers
  • I-589 (A receipt)
  • Signed lease/rental agreement
  • Current detailed bank statement
  • Last thirty days receipts (re-peat applicant)
  • Work related expenses
  • Medical statement if unable to work
  • Proof of all household income
  • Paystubs
  • Correspondence from Social Security
  • Correspondence from Department of Health & Human Services
  • Immigration paperwork

If you have questions pertaining to social services in the area, please feel free to call us at 767-7617. On this webpage in the left column; you will find numerous resources to assist with food, non-food, diapers, clothing, etc.

The City of South Portland Social Services thanks the businesses, organizations and volunteers in the community who reach out with a helping hand to assist those in need during the holidays and throughout the year.  Your assistance and kindness is recognized and greatly appreciated.