How to officially commend or complain about the performance of a South Portland Fire Department employee

As a means of maintaining both department performance and community relations, the South Portland Fire Department encourages citizen recommendations for fire department personnel who admirably perform their duties and encourage feedback on the Department's performance or the actions of its members.


Commending superior performance

To commend the actions of a South Portland Fire Department employee you can:

  • Ask to speak with the Duty Chief and verbally communicate your praise; or,
  • Write a letter to the Fire Chief explaining your praise.

Commendations received by the Fire Chief for any South Portland Fire Department employee will result in the employee being advised of your gratitude and a permanent record of the employee's actions and your appreciation placed in the employee's personnel file. Depending on the situation, the employee could be considered for the other department or community awards recognition. Minimally, the employee is made aware of your kindness and appreciation.

When you have questions

The South Portland Fire Department is committed to providing the best possible emergency services. Citizen cooperation and input is essential if the Department is to achieve this goal. If you have questions about any specific action taken by the Department or have a recommendation on how we can improve police services, you can do any one of the following:

  • Call the department at 799-3311 and ask for the Duty Chief
  • E-mail the Fire Chief or the Deputy Chief of Personnel

Your questions or recommendations can also be mailed to:

Chief James Wilson
South Portland Fire Department
684 Broadway
South Portland, Maine 04106


The complaint process

There are two methods for investigating and resolving complaints against members of the Department. The first and preferred method is informal. The second is a formal process.

Most complaints against employees can be resolved by the employee’s supervisor. This is considered an informal investigation.

With more serious complaints of misconduct, a Fire Official will take an initial statement from the complainant and then refer the incident to the Fire Chief.

For more information on filing a complaint please see our complaint policy in our SOG Section (click on Department SOGs on the sidebar to the left) and scroll until you find SOG 5.229. This will have the most up to date information.