South Portland Property Tax Assistance Program 
The deadline has been extended to May 31.

The following information is provided for the 2020/2021 Tax Assistance Program. 

  1. Fully complete the application (PDF).  Both sides of the application must be completed. Make sure that you sign the application.  Incomplete applications will not be processed. 
  1. Attach a signed copy of your 2020 Form 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit).
  2. Return the application to:

City of South Portland
Attn:  Victoria Inman
P.O. Box 9422
South Portland, ME 04116 

  1. Note that applications must be received on or before May 31, 2021
  1. Please remember that you must complete an application every year in order to participate in the program.
  2. Any credits/refunds will be applied to the May 13, 2021 tax bill. 

If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application,

 please contact Vicki Inman at 767-7609 or



Frequently Asked Questions


Do both applicants have to be over the age of 68?  No, as long as the first applicant is over the age of 68, the co-applicant can be under 68.

What if I turn 68 later this year after the May 1st deadline?  You must be 68 on or before April 30, 2021 to qualify for this year’s program.

What if I haven’t filed my State Income Tax forms yet (Form 1040ME)?  You must wait until you have completed your 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit) before you apply for the City’s program.

I rented for part of the year and owned my own home for part of the year. Am I eligible for a refund? Yes, if you otherwise qualify. List the tax assessed for the part of the year you owned and occupied your own home and claim the amount of rent you paid for the portion of the year you rented. Remember that each home must have been your primary home during the part of the year you occupied the home.

Do I have to provide my phone number and what will it be used for?  Yes, we must have a daytime phone number provided in case we have questions about your application.  We will not call unless we require additional information.  We will not give out your phone number to any other party or agency.

Will I automatically be sent an application next year?  Yes, if you qualified for a refund this year, we will automatically send you an application next January.