South Portland Property Tax Assistance Program
The following information is provided for the 2021/2022 Tax Assistance Program.
On April 5, 2022, the City Council passed ORDINANCE #17-21/22, making several key changes to the City's Property Tax Assistance Program taking effect for the 2021/2022 season:
- Lowering the minimum age from 68 to 65;
- Requiring an applicant to have been a resident of South Portland for seven of the past ten years, instead of ten of the last 12; and
- Increasing the potential benefit amount from $400 to $500.
- Fully complete the application (PDF). Both sides of the application must be completed. Make sure that you sign the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Attach a signed copy of your 2021 Form 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit).
- Return the application to:
City of South Portland
Attn: Victoria Inman
P.O. Box 9422
South Portland, ME 04116
- Note that applications must be received on or before May 1, 2022.
- Please remember that you must complete an application every year in order to participate in the program.
- Any credits/refunds will be applied to the May 12, 2022 tax bill.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application,
please contact Vicki Inman at 767-7609 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
Do both applicants have to be over the age of 65? No, as long as the first applicant is over the age of 65, the co-applicant can be under 65.
What if I turn 65 later this year after the May 1st deadline? You must be 65 on or before May 1st, 2022 to qualify for this year’s program.
What if I haven’t filed my State Income Tax forms yet (Form 1040ME)? You must wait until you have completed your 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit) before you apply for the City’s program.
I rented for part of the year and owned my own home for part of the year. Am I eligible for a refund? Yes, if you otherwise qualify. List the tax assessed for the part of the year you owned and occupied your own home and claim the amount of rent you paid for the portion of the year you rented. Remember that each home must have been your primary home during the part of the year you occupied the home.
Do I have to provide my phone number and what will it be used for? Yes, we must have a daytime phone number provided in case we have questions about your application. We will not call unless we require additional information. We will not give out your phone number to any other party or agency.
Will I automatically be sent an application next year? Yes, if you qualified for a refund this year, we will automatically send you an application next January.