South Portland Property Tax Assistance Program
The following information is provided for the 2019/2020 Tax Assistance Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do both applicants have to be over the age of 68? No, as long as the first applicant is over the age of 68, the co-applicant can be under 68.
What if I turn 68 later this year after the May 1st deadline? You must be 68 on or before April 30, 2020 to qualify for this year’s program.
What if I haven’t filed my State Income Tax forms yet (Form 1040ME)? You must wait until you have completed your 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit) before you apply for the City’s program.
I rented for part of the year and owned my own home for part of the year. Am I eligible for a refund? Yes, if you otherwise qualify. List the tax assessed for the part of the year you owned and occupied your own home and claim the amount of rent you paid for the portion of the year you rented. Remember that each home must have been your primary home during the part of the year you occupied the home.
Do I have to provide my phone number and what will it be used for? Yes, we must have a daytime phone number provided in case we have questions about your application. We will not call unless we require additional information. We will not give out your phone number to any other party or agency.
Will I automatically be sent an application next year? Yes, if you qualified for a refund this year, we will automatically send you an application next January.
Thank you for your interest in the South Portland Property Tax Assistance Program. Download the application for 2019/2020 and follow the instructions below.
Both sides of the application must be completed. Make sure that you sign the application.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Fully complete the enclosed application. Both sides of the application must be completed. Make sure that you sign the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Attach a signed copy of your 2018 Form 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit).
- Return the application to:
City of South Portland
Attn: Vicki Inman
P.O. Box 9422
South Portland, ME 04116
- Note that applications must be received on or before May 1, 2020.
- Please remember that you must complete an application every year in order to participate in the program.
- Any credits/refunds will be applied to the May 2020 tax bill.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application,
please contact Vicki Inman at 767-7609 or firstname.lastname@example.org