South Portland Property Tax Assistance Program
The City offers a rebate of residential property tax payments for eligible residents who are at least 65 years old. To qualify, you first must be qualified to receive a tax credit under the provisions of the State of Maine Residents Property Tax Fairness Credit Program for the most recent calendar year. https://www.maine.gov/revenue/taxes/tax-relief-credits-programs/income-tax-credits/property-tax-fairness-credit
Also, at the time of application, you must have owned or rented a homestead in the City for the entire two years prior to the date of application and been a resident of the City for at least seven out of ten preceding years. The complete Ordinance can be found here.
- Applications must be filed starting January 1 until April 30 each year. Note that applications must be received on or before April 30 each year.
- Please remember that you must complete an application every year in order to participate in the program.
- Any credits/refunds will be applied to your current tax bill. If your taxes are paid in full, or you are a renter, then you would receive a check.
- Attach a signed copy of your Form 1040ME, including Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit).
- Sign and return the application to the Finance Department at City Hall, or mail to:
City of South Portland Finance Department
Attn: Victoria Inman
P.O. Box 9422
South Portland, ME 04116
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application,
please contact 767-7612 or firstname.lastname@example.org