You may request an absentee ballot "without cause" (i.e. without providing a reason for your request) three months before Election Day until close of business on the Thursday prior to the election. After that date, you may only obtain an absentee ballot if you fall subject to certain Special Exception provisions.
Absentee ballots must be returned to the City Clerk's office by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Absentee Voting by Mail:
There are several ways you can request an absentee ballot:
- ONLINE: Click here to request your absentee ballot online! (Available 3 months before Election Day)
- MAIL/FAX/IN-PERSON: Complete the paper application and mail, fax, or drop it off at the Clerk's Office.
- PHONE: Call (207) 767-7601 and request that a ballot be mailed to you (we must talk to the registered voter!)
- DESIGNATING A THIRD PERSON TO DELIVER YOUR BALLOT:
- A registered voter may make a written request for a “third person” (someone other than the voter or the voter's immediate family member) to obtain and hand-deliver an absentee ballot. The voter must designate, in a written request, the specific third person who will handle and deliver the ballot. Only this designated third person may handle the absentee ballot. Ballots cast in this way must be witnessed by either a notary public, a municipal clerk, a clerk of courts, or 2 other witnesses. A voter may make this written request at the City Clerk's office.
Absentee ballots will be available approximately 30 days before Election Day -- requests will be filled and ballots mailed to you as soon as the ballots are received.
Absentee Voting In Person
When absentee ballots arrive, voters have the option to vote in person at the City Clerk's office (25 Cottage Road) during normal business hours.
Processing Absentee Ballots
Ballots are kept in a secure area only accessible by City Clerk staff until they are ready to be processed. There is a legal procedure for processing absentee ballots to ensure that all ballots remain confidential and accounted for. The processing of absentee ballots is open to the public to witness. For more information on how ballots are processed or for information on times and dates when absentee ballots will be processed, please contact the City Clerk.