Those wishing to marry in Maine must obtain a Marriage License before a marriage takes place.  The purpose of a marriage license is to provide proof that a couple is allowed to enter into a legally recognized marriage.  A Marriage License is not the same as a Marriage Certificate -- a Marriage Certificate is proof of marriage, available after a couple is legally married.  

Marriage licenses can be issued on a walk-in basis.  Effective April 25, 2017, when applying for your marriage license, please allow approximately 45-60 minutes to complete the application process.  Licenses are issued during normal working hours. The cost is $40.00 for the license.  Both parties must be present.

To save some time, you may download and fill in the Marriage Intention Application in black ink and bring or mail it into the Clerk's office.   Please be sure to read all of the requirements below.

1.)  Where To Obtain Your Marriage License:

  • Out-of-state residents who wish to marry in Maine must file their intentions to marry in any Maine municipal office. Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued, the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State of Maine.
  • Residents of the State of Maine must record notice of their intentions to marry in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides.

  • If only one of the parties resides in Maine, the parties must record notice of their intentions to marry in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which the resident party resides. Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued, the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State of Maine.

Special Notes:

  • If you're already legally married (i.e., your marriage took place in another State or country), your marriage is valid in Maine.  You may need to supply documentation from that State or country proving that you are married for legal purposes.  

  • If you're getting married out of State or in another country, you need to acquire your marriage license in that State and/or country.
    •  Application for Certificate of Marital Status form (PDF) - The Certificate of Marital Status is usually required for persons getting married in a foreign country. If you need a certificate of marital status or no impediment to marriage, please complete this application and send it, along with the appropriate fee outlined on the application, to Maine CDC Vital Records Office, 11 State House Station, 220 Capitol Street, Augusta, ME 04333.

  • Effective September 19, 2019: If you or your spouse will be changing your name upon marriage, you must provide the proposed name(s) on the marriage intention application.  Parties may change their name to any name; the new proposed name(s) do not necessarily have to be their spouse's last name.  If no name change is sought, this line may be left blank - however, if a name change is requested in the future, a legal name change under court order may be required. 

2.)  Requirements To Obtain a Marriage License:

  • Photo ID such as a driver's license may be required.
  • If this is not the first marriage for one or both of you, bring a certified copy (raised seal) of the divorce form or death certificate of the last spouse (photocopies cannot be accepted).
          **In Maine, there is a 21 day waiting period to marry after a divorce.  Maine residents must provide a certified court waiver if planning to marry within 21 days after the date of divorce.  
  • Applicants must be 18+ years old. Written parental consent is required for an applicant who is 17.  
  • No blood test is required.

3.)  Completing Your Marriage License:

Your marriage license is valid for 90 days and can only be used within the State of Maine. There is no longer a waiting period from the time your marriage license is issued until your wedding can take place.  

When you are married, you will give your Marriage License to the person performing the ceremony to complete the "ceremony" section of the marriage license.  This includes obtaining the signatures of two (2) witnesses and the signature of the officiant. The person performing the ceremony cannot be one of the two witnesses to the ceremony. The marriage license must be completed in black ink only.

The following individuals are authorized to perform marriages in Maine:

  • Ordained ministers of the gospel
  • A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body
  • Judges or justices (residents of Maine only)
  • Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only)
  • Maine Notaries - Search for Maine Notaries by Location or Name 


4.)  Return of Completed License to City Clerk following Marriage Ceremony:

The officiant is responsible for filing the completed marriage license with the municipal clerk at the municipality where the license was issued within 7 days.


All staff in the Clerk's office are Notaries Public (and Licensed Marriage Officiants) in the State of Maine and can perform marriage ceremonies.  Marriage ceremonies are performed by appointment. The cost for the ceremony is $100.00 effective July 1, 2023.  Two witnesses are required and must be supplied by the couple getting married.  Persons entering marriage must be at least 18 years old.  (Parties who are 17 years of age and wish to be married must obtain written consent from their parents, guardians, or the person to whom a court has given custody.)

Please note that a copy of your marriage certificate will not automatically be sent to you following your marriage ceremony.  Your marriage certificate must be requested separately.  If you are getting married at City Hall, a copy of your marriage certificate may be ordered at the time of your marriage ceremony.  A certified copy of your marriage certificate is $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for additional copies ordered at the same time.  Click here for more information on obtaining a marriage certificate.

NOTE: If a Maine resident goes to another state to get married to avoid Maine requirements, or if a non-resident comes to Maine to avoid the requirements of his/her state of residence, the marriage is considered to be null and void.