Dog licenses expire annually on December 31st. We strongly encourage license renewal by mail or through the State web site. There is an additional dollar fee to register your dog online.
You may review the rabies information that we have on file here. If the rabies certificate on file is up to date you would send a check for $6.00 if your dog has been spayed or neutered. The fee is $11.00 if you dog has not been spayed or neutered. Please include your dogs name and mail to;
City Clerks Office
P.O. Box 9422
South Portland, Maine 04106
We will mail back dog tags and the license for 2021.
Licensing for 2022 will start on October 15, 2021.
City Ordinance allows for a family to have no more than 3 dogs about their premises.
The Department of Animal Welfare oversees dog licensing in the State of Maine. State law requires you to license your dog by December 31st each year. The license fee is $6.00 for a neutered/spayed dog and $11.00 for an unaltered dog. You may license your dog in person at the Clerk's office or online between October 15 and January 31 without incurring a $25 late fee. Please have your dog's current rabies vaccination certificate ready at the time of licensing.
All dogs need to be licensed upon reaching the age of 6 months in the town where it resides or after the dog has been with the family for 10 days, if adopted. If you have a service dog, the licensing fee may be waived.
Dog licensing fees support:
- Local Animal Control Officers and State Humane Agents
- Investigation of animal cruelty complaints and enforcement of animal welfare laws
- Compliance with rabies vaccination of dogs
- Care for sick and injured stray animals
- Return of lost dogs to their owners
If you are licensing your dog for the first time:
- You must have a current rabies vaccination certification issued by a licensed veterinarian.
- You must have an accurate description of your dog, including your dog’s name, breed, sex and color.
- You must have a written statement from your veterinarian that clearly states your dog is altered and/or sterile to qualify for the low cost altered license fee.
- You must have the required licensing fee, i.e. $11.00 for unaltered fertile dog and $6.00 for altered or sterile dog.
If you are renewing your dog license:
If your dogs rabies vaccination has expired since the last time you licensed him/her, you will need to show certification of a current rabies vaccination from a Maine licensed veterinarian.
You may now license your dog online:
You will need:
- Credit Card
- License/Tag number (renewal only)
- State of Maine Rabies certificate (must be current)
- Veterinarian's name and phone number
- Spay or Neuter Certificate (if your dog has been "fixed")