The City is very proud of the numerous community events that take place here in South Portland, including:

  • Parades
  • Carnivals
  • Circuses
  • Run/Walk/Cycle/Swim Events
  • Events in Parks
  • Holiday/Seasonal Events
  • Neighborhood Block Parties
  • Music Festivals and Concerts
  • Art Shows 

Looking to host an event in one of the City's Parks, facilities, sidewalk or public street?  Any event hosted on City property (including public streets) must submit an Event Application. See below for details or call the City's Licensing Administrator at (207) 767-7628.

Event Permits & Licenses

STEP 1:  Event organizers looking to host an event (or private party, including weddings & birthday parties) in one of the City's Parks or Public Facilities are encouraged to complete a Parks & Recreation Public Facilities Use Request and to communicate with Parks & Recreation first to ensure space is available, prior to submitting an event application. Insurance is required for events occurring on City property. 

STEP 2:  Residents or local groups planning an event taking place on City property (Parks, Streets, Sidewalks, Waterfront, etc) are required to submit a Special Event Application that needs to be completed and returned to the Clerks' office at least 30 days prior to the event date.  Additional licenses and permits may be required, depending upon the event.   

If any event in the City will include outdoor music, an Amplifying Permit is required.  Events hosting bingo/beano/raffles/games of chance may need to obtain a Games of Chance License.  For any event hosting food vendors, all food vendors must hold a valid City and State food license.  If a vendor does not hold a City food license, a Temporary Food Vendor License may be requested and issued for the event.   Please note the City's Food Truck policy.  Per Sec. 18-7 of the City's Code of Ordinances, no alcohol may be consumed in any park, beach, pond or other recreational property owned by the City. All events held on City property require insurance. Depending upon the nature and/or number of attendees, Police and/or EMS/Fire presence may be required at the expense of the event organizer.  

STEP 3:  Event applications are reviewed by Code Enforcement, Fire, Parks, Police, Public Works and the Transportation Department.   Any event requiring a street closure is required to go before City Council for approval.  Once approved, the City's Licensing Administrator will contact you with your approval. 

The event group, which consists of all the departments listed above, is always willing to meet with any group interested in hosting an event here in South Portland to discuss requirements.  Contact the Clerk's Office if you have questions. 

The City of South Portland is committed to keeping our public Parks & facilities clean.  Event organizers are encouraged to review the Zero Waste Guidelines and Trash and Recycling guidelines for all events held on City property.