Name of Body: City Council
Agenda for the Meeting of: September 6, 2017
Meeting Begins: 7:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall Council Chambers
A. Acceptance of Minutes
B. Communications from City Manager
Update from Public Works Director Doug Howard regarding sidewalk assessments and Westbrook Street.
Presentation of Best Photos from Boys and Girls Club
C. Reports from Boards and Committees
D. Petitions and Communications
Resignation of District 2 Board of Education Member and Council decision to appoint for vacancy
Candidate nomination petition deadline is September 8th for November 7, 2017 General Municipal Election
E. Appointment Calendar
1. ORDER #114-15/16 – Board of Assessment Review, District Two (Smith), for an unexpired term which expires on 03/16/19. Postponed since 03/21/16. Passage requires majority vote.
2. ORDER #112-16/17 – Board of Assessment Review, District Five (Fox), for a term which expires 12/31/19. Postponed since 1/4/17. Passage requires majority vote.
3. ORDER #179-16/17 – Energy & Recycling Committee, District One (Morgan), for a term expiring 05/05/18. Passage requires majority vote.
4. ORDER #3-17/18 – Community Development Advisory Committee, District At-Large (Beecher), for an unexpired term expiring 01/15/20. Passage requires majority vote.
5. ORDER #4-17/18 –Arts & Historic Preservation Committee, District At-Large (Henderson), appointing Jessica Kessler for an unexpired term expiring10/20/17. Passage requires majority vote.
F. Consent Calendar
6. ORDER #42-17/18 – Granting a sign permit for placement of a temporary sign on City property at 625 Broadway (GE Erskine Park), advertising the Tate House Museum Colonial Frolic on September 9, 2017. Passage requires majority vote.
7. ORDER #43-17/18 – Granting a sign permit for placement of thirty (30) temporary signs located throughout the City advertising the Casco Bay Heat Pump Challenge (CBHPC) on September 24, 2017. Passage requires majority vote.
G. Citizen Discussion (First Part)
H. Public Hearings and Action
I. Action on Old and New Business
8. ORDER #28-17/18 – Authorizing the City of South Portland to join in the appeal of FEMA flood maps through the Ransom proposal. Postponed on August 7, 2017. Passage requires majority vote.
9. ORDER #44-17/18 – Accepting miscellaneous donations. Passage requires majority
10. ORDER #45-17/18 – Council approval for the extension of a Junked Motor Vehicle Permit located at 105 Sawyer Street. Passage requires majority vote.
11. ORDER #46-17/18 – Award of Bid #24-18 to O’Connor GMC, of Augusta, ME for the purchase of two (2) school buses for the School Department. Passage requires majority vote.
12. RESOLVE #10-17/18 – Approving an Appropriation Transfer Resolve for FY2017 Bus Service Budget. Passage requires majority vote.
13. ORDINANCE #4-17/18 – Amending Chapter 14, “Licenses, Permits and Business Regulations Generally,” regarding secondhand dealers and pawnbrokers. First reading. Passage requires majority vote.
14. ORDINANCE #5-17/18 – Amending Chapter 14, “Licenses, Permits and Business Regulations Generally,” regarding CATV Franchising. First reading. Passage requires majority vote.
J. Citizen Discussion (Second Part)
K. Councilor’s Round Robin
L. Executive Session
A motion may be made to go into executive session pursuant to 1 M.R.S.A. §405(6)(a), evaluation of the City Manager.
In the event the Council determines that it may not reach all agenda items by 11:00 P.M., it may postpone some items to a subsequent meeting. Postponement is not required, and the Council may take up agenda items after 11:00 P.M. Any items postponed to the next meeting will normally be scheduled ahead of subsequently scheduled agenda items.