Organics are the largest component of municipal solid waste
- City-sponsored after school programs and many of our public schools are already composting food & other organic materials. These efforts have resulted in immediate and significant reductions in the weight & volume of trash.
- For residents not in the curbside food waste collection pilot area, all food waste can be dropped off at the Transfer Station (929 Highland Ave. South Portland) loose or in clear plastic bags
- Garbage to Garden currently provides residential and commercial compost collection services for a fee in South Portland.
- Backyard composting bins are available from Public Works.
- For more information on composting at home, check out this page from the EPA.