Community Climate Action & Adaptation Plan (2018- )
The City of South Portland is developing a Climate Action & Adaptation Plan (CAAP) that will lay out a vision for transformative carbon reductions of 80% by 2050 with concrete, measureable actions to move toward that vision. The plan will be developed through a stakeholder process that will engage individuals, community groups, and local businesses, and draw on the expertise of recognized regional leaders. It will provide a model that can be replicated and is applicable at a regional level. Equally important as the actions it identifies, the plan is intended to mobilize community engagement and build support for climate action.
CLICK HERE for a printable summary.
The objectives of the Climate Action & Adaptation Plan are to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions Citywide
- Transition to cost effective, clean, renewable energy
- Increase recycling and reduce waste
- Prepare South Portland for the potential impacts of climate change
- Build community engagement and support for climate action efforts
The final Climate Action & Adaptation Plan (CAAP) will:
- Be developed in an open and transparent way, balance the interests of the entire South Portland community, and set a long-term vision with clear and compelling implementation pathways;
- Define the community’s climate challenges and opportunities in meeting the ambitious 80% by 2050 GHG reduction goal and preparing for the effects of climate change;
- Serve as a mechanism to tie together the City’s existing and developing sustainability initiatives and plans with community goals;
- Establish a set of climate action strategies and implementation plans (expected to include policies, programs, measures, projects, infrastructure, and community actions);
- Identify policy opportunities at the state, regional, and federal levels that may help reduce emission sources not controlled directly by the City;
- Define metrics for measuring progress, lowering community-wide greenhouse emissions, and engaging residents, businesses and community groups.
We want feedback from individuals, community groups, and local businesses so we can integrate your interests and needs:
- Attend a targeted stakeholder meeting and/or community forum
- Give us your ideas and feedback through this short on-line survey
- Send an email with your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org