The City is very proud of the numerous community events that take place here in South Portland, including:
- Run/Walk/Cycle/Swim Events
- Events in Parks
- Neighborhood Block Parties
Below is a list of some Events scheduled for 2017.
This page will be updated regularly.
Contact the City Clerk's office for more information regarding these events.
There are a number of events held by the South Portland Library not listed here. Please click here for a list of their events.
July 5 - August 9, 2017 (Wednesdays): Mill Creek Summer Concert Series, 6:30-8:00pm
July (Thursdays): Bug Light Movie Nights - Bug Light Park, 5:30- 10:30pm
July 22, 2017, Cosmic Bridge Festival, Thomas Knight Park, 3:00pm-9:00pm
July 22 & 23, 2017, Sports Event (Vacationland), Wainwright Field
July 23, 2017: Tri for a Cure, Bug Light Park/SMCC Area, 7:30am- 1:30pm
• August 1, 2017: National Night Out, Redbank Community Center
• August Tuesdays & Thursdays, 2017: Portland Ultimate League, Wainwright Field, 6pm-8pm
August 3 & August 10 - Bug Light Movie Series (Rain Dates)
• August 12, 2017: Art in the Park, Mill Creek Park
• August 12, 2017: Knightville Street Festival, 3:00-9:00pm
• August 12, 2017: Pound the Pavement 5K, Boys & Girls Club
• September 2, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• September 4, 2017: Maine Outdoor Film Festival, Bug Light Park
• September 6, 2017: Bug Light Classic Car Show, 4:30pm- sunset
• September 9, 2017: Strive for 5K, Foden Road
• September 9, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
September 9, 2017: Maine Lighthouse Ride
• September 16, 2017: South Portland Maineiacs 5K, Various City Streets
• September 16, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
September 17, 2017: Drive Electric, South Portland Community Center
• September 23, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• September 24, 2017: NAMI Maine Walk, SMCC Area, 9:00am-2:00pm
• September 30, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• October 7, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• October 8, 2017: Bug Light 5K, Bug Light, 9:00am-12:00pm
• October 14, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• October 21 & 22, 2017: Sports Event (The Lobster Pit), Wainwright
• October 28 & 29, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
November 11, 2017: Veterans Day Parade (Broadway)
November 12, 2017: Sea Gulf Stride 5K (Spring Point Area)
November 23, 2017: Savage Family Turkey Trot (SMCC Area)
November 28, 2017: GMRI Sunrise Swim Event (Willard Beach)
Residents or local groups planning an event taking place on City property (Parks, Streets, Sidewalks, Waterfront, etc) are required to submit a Special Event Application that needs to be completed and returned to the Clerks' office at least 30 days prior to the event date. Additional licenses and permits may be required, depending upon the event. If the event will be hosting food vendors, all food vendors must hold a valid City food license. If a vendor does not hold a City food license, a temporary food vendor license may be requested and issued for the event. A list of food vendors must be submitted to the City Clerk's office by the event organizer no later than 2 weeks prior to an event. Depending upon the nature and/or number of attendees, Police and/or EMS/Fire presence may be required at the expense of the event organizer.
Event applications are reviewed by Code Enforcement, Fire, Parks, Police, Public Works and the Transportation Department. Any event requiring a street closure is required to go before City Council for approval.
Event organizers looking to host an event (or private party, including weddings & birthday parties) in one of the City's Parks or Public Facilities are encouraged to review the Parks & Recreation Public Facilities Use Policy and to communicate with Parks & Recreation first to ensure space is available, prior to submitting an event application. Insurance is required for events occurring on City property.
The event group, which consists of all the departments listed above, is always willing to meet with any group interested in hosting an event here in South Portland to discuss requirements. Contact the Clerk's Office if you have questions.
The City of South Portland is committed to keeping our public Parks & facilities clean. Event organizers are encouraged to review the Zero Waste Guidelines and Trash and Recycling guidelines for all events held on City property.