City Clerks Office

City Hall - 25 Cottage Road

Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
( Marriage Licenses only until 4:00 p.m.)
Thursday evenings until 6:30 p.m.
(Marriages only until 6:00 p.m.)

Phone number: 207-767-7601
Fax number: 207-767-7620


Susan Mooney, City Clerk

Sue was appointed City Clerk in August of 2001.  Previous to that Sue held four different positions in the Finance Department over a span of 25 years, Clerk Cashier, Payroll Administrator, Information Specialist and Deputy Tax Collector/Treasurer.  Sue received the Certified Municipal Clerks designation from the International Institute of Municipal Clerks in 2005 and Maine Municipal Clerk certification in 2004.  She was recognized as Clerk of the Year in 2010 by the Maine Town and City Clerks' Association.


Karen Morrill, Assistant Clerk
Jessica Hanscombe, Deputy Clerk
Alice Kelley, PT Assistant City Clerk
Tina Weden, PT Assistant City Clerk


The City Clerk’s office is responsible for keeping and providing copies of all city records and issuing licenses and permits and organizing elections. The staff also posts all material provided to the City Council for meetings and workshops on the city website.

The City Clerk’s office provides:

New residents are invited to call or stop in the Clerk’s Office to obtain street maps of the city and the Greenbelt Walkway, the latest South Portland Parks and Recreation Guide, Transfer Station fees and schedule, Bus Schedules, and other useful information.



The City is very proud of the numerous community events that take place here in South Portland.  Residents or local groups planning an event are required to submit an Event application that needs to be completed and turned into the Clerks' office.  This would be used for Run, Walks, Cycles, Swims, Parades and any other event that would take place on City Property. This application is also used for Street Closures for Neighborhood Block Parties. This application is reviewed by Code Enforcement, Fire, Parks, Police, Public Works and the Transportation Department.   Any event that requires a street or intersection closure will need City Council authorization.  The Event group, which consists of all the departments listed above, is always willing to meet with any group interested in hosting an Event here in South Portland.  Contact the Licensing Administrator if you have questions. 

One way to serve your community is to volunteer to be on one of the boards or commissions in the City. It is a wonderful opportunity to make contact with other civic-minded individuals and to be able to make a positive impact in the municipality. Please consider submitting an application. On the city web site click on the Boards menu in the left side bar for an application or to learn more about city boards and commissions please call the City Clerk at 767-7601.